Monday, September 12, 2022

Blog #2 Supreme Court

 

Supreme Court of the United States - Wikipedia

To be quite honest, I didn’t know much about the U.S. Supreme Court, I haven’t taken government since my senior year of high school. Since then I had only learned about past U.S. government systems in history courses. The videos were very well-informing as I did not know more than the basic principles of the Supreme Court

I never knew that the president is able to elect one Chief Justice to serve throughout said president’s term in office. The Chief Justice is appointed by the President and then confirmed. The elected Chief Justice will then serve during the entirety of the president’s term. The difference between a Supreme Court Chief Justice versus a Supreme Court Justice is that the Chief Justice must be elected by the current president. The Supreme Court started following the Constitution one year after it was signed in 1789. 


I do not typically follow current ongoing cases with the Supreme Court, except for some of the more major ones. I knew that the Supreme Court has the final jurisdiction over all cases and is extremely vital in the constitutional system of the government. The biggest takeaway I got from the videos was how important and detrimental the U.S. Supreme Court is to us because it rules over those cases that are detrimental to our lives.


The most surprising thing I learned during the video was how long the average Supreme Court member stays on for 16 years, some even twice that long. I was quite surprised that there have only been only 17 Chief Justices and 104 Associate Justice for over 232 years. With the average Justice serving for 16 years it now makes a lot more sense that Ruth Bader Ginsburg served until she was 87 years old.


As previously mentioned, I didn’t know more than just the basics of the Supreme Court. Learning about this in the classroom is extremely important to students' better understanding of the real world, the video and this class have definitely kept me very well informed about how the court system operates. The video changed the way I see the Supreme Court due to how important it is to our generation. The videos were extremely beneficial and it was interesting to watch the interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment

FINAL BLOG POST

Technology has had a profound impact on virtually every aspect of our lives. It has changed the way we communicate, the way we work, and the...